Saturday, May 28, 2011

are you a carrot?

While we were picking peas, lettuce and tomatoes out of our backyard garden, one of my kids said: "Wow Mom! We are going to eat for FREE all summer!"  
Little did he know how much money I spent on dirt, seeds and plants - not to mention that none of them would ever consent to a vegan diet!
I love having a garden in my back yard - its so nice to go out and pick a fresh salad for lunch.
But what would happen if those seeds sat and thought about how they were going to grow?
If I planted tiny carrot seeds and they puzzled, "wait a minute - what am I? What am I going to do with my life?"   Or the yellow beans looked around and said, "I want to be an apple!"  And the cucumbers sprouting on the vine said "hey, what am I supposed to do with my life?"
Vegetable seeds turn into the vegetable they came from, they don't question it.
Sometimes we puzzle, "what does God want me to do with my life?!"  "How do I know what His will is for me?!"
Its kind of a simple comparison, but God made you who you are. He made you with your likes and dislikes, your desires and interests.  He plants ideas inside of you, and all you need to do is live them out.
When I was a teenager, I got a cushy job working in a neighbour's office. All I had to do was sit and type, and answer the phone.  I got paid more  money  than all my friends in their jobs, and I was home by 3:00. But I hated it. I stared out the window and thought of the summer wasting away while I was stuck inside. 
It wasn't long before I quit, and took a job cutting lawns - much less pay, longer hours, but it was what I loved to do.
So instead of asking "what is God's will for me?" What does He want me to do!??" 
Who did he make you to be?  What do you like?   Open your ears to his voice and follow the doors that He opens for you.
[Image]Because if a carrot decided not to be a carrot, what else would it be?!
draft
5/27/1

No comments:

Post a Comment